The Barnes Fund is a local charity that makes grants to help those in need in Barnes and provides, at Walsingham Lodge, a sheltered housing community comprising almshouses for people on low incomes; and five leasehold bungalows. Two of our trustees are due to retire in the coming months.
Whether you are an experienced trustee, or want to join a board for the first time and have lived-experience to bring, we would love to hear from you.
What the trustees do:
They set the vision and lead the charity: deciding how it is run and ensuring it does what it was set up to do. Their tasks include:
• Strategic decision making, governance and shaping of new projects
• Managing finance and investments
• Networking with other charities and allocating grants to organisations and individuals
• Overseeing management of Walsingham Lodge, which is carried out day to day by a property management company
• Communicating with Walsingham Lodge residents and allocating almshouse vacancies
Who The Barnes Fund is looking for:
• You must be a resident of Barnes
• With a demonstrable understanding of some of the challenges facing Barnes people and the organisations that exist to improve their lives
• Committed to understanding the governance, workings of a charity and role of a trustee
• Able to dedicate 4 hours per month for meetings (typically in the early evenings, with some daytime meetings), plus ad hoc time as required by the role
• We are particularly keen to recruit trustees with the following experience – compliance/legal, marketing/communications, fundraising and knowledge of social housing needs.
We welcome applicants of all ages and diverse backgrounds and those with lived experienced (for example, carers, people with experience of homelessness, deprivation, illness or disability).
How to apply
Full details of the role including the Job Descriptions and information on how to apply can be found on the Barnes Fund website: www.thebarnesfund.org.uk/get-involved/ The deadline for applications is midnight on 15 March 2024.
If you are interested in applying but would like an informal chat before doing so, please contact our Executive Director, Katy Makepeace-Gray firstname.lastname@example.org