WRAP up warm this winter is the Council’s message to older people and those with a long-term health condition as part of a campaign which provides free home visits for advice and information on heating, insulation, benefits and health.
Making sure you and your home stay warm will help to keep you well over the winter. Many people do not realise that living in a cold home can cause serious health problems, particularly if you have a long-term condition.
Richmond Council funds the Wandsworth and Richmond Assessment Point (WRAP) service, which supports residents to keep well and warm during the winter months. The service is delivered by a local not-for-profit organisation, Thinking Works. An advisor will visit your home at a convenient time to give you advice and help to prepare for winter. The service includes free devices to help cut your water and energy use that will either be installed on the day or during a second appointment.
If you are a Richmond resident, have a long-term health condition such as diabetes, or are aged 65+ you are eligible for this service.
During the visit, your advisor may offer the following:
• Grants of up to £6,000 for heating, insulation and boiler repairs (for people who receive certain benefits)
• Free draught proofing to keep heat in your home (subject to survey)
• Free electricity monitor
• Free LED low energy bulb
• Free radiator bleeding
• Free water saving device
• Benefits checks
• Free radiator reflector panels (subject to survey)
• Free smoke and carbon monoxide alarms if required
• Free specialist advice on lowering heating bills whilst keeping warm
• Advice on guided walks and healthy lifestyle opportunities in the borough
• Advice on getting out and about, and getting involved in the community
For a free home visit call Thinking Works on 0800 118 2327 or 07928 394 482
Source: Wandsworth and Richmond Council